1) Operate the House in a carbon-neutral manner by the end of the 110th Congress
2) Reduce the carbon footprint of the House by cutting energy consumption by 50% in 10 years
3) Make House operations a model of sustainability
Three strategies are recommended to achieve carbon neutrality for the House buildings:
1. Purchase electricity generated from renewable sources
2. Switch from using coal, oil, and natural gas at the CPP to natural gas only
3. Purchase offsets for the remaining carbon emissions
Although the plans are admirable, we believe they are unattainable (except for purchasing carbon offsets). Unfortunately the Speaker announced that she was suspending such purchases.
Center suggestion: Build a separate hydrogen fuel cell-powered plant and use the fossil plant as emergency backup.