The Center conducted its 5th Compton To Catalina Program trip on Friday, October 18, 2013. The trip was completely successful and the students thoroughly enjoyed their experiences. The California Center for Economic Initiatives recruited the students and John Long conducted the tour of the Southern California Edison Pebbly Beach electricity generating plant.
The tour group left the Catalina Express Long Beach downtown landing at 10 a.m. ABC-7 TV covered the launch and it was broadcast on the evening news in Los Angeles. The tour group had a great burger/fry lunch at Eric's on the green pier and proceeded to the to the semi-submersible boat to view fish species and unique kelp. After the 45-minute submersible trip, we proceeded to the Pebbly Beach power plant for a tour. The group left the island on the 4 pm Catalina Express back to Long Beach.
1) Eduardo Torres, Firebaugh High School, 14,
2) Yamilex Martinez, Aloha Health Medical Academy, 12,
3) Carlos Martinez, Artesia High School, 14,
4) Akeem Arana, Stephens Middle School, 13,
5) Afeni Arana, Stephens Middle School, 13,
6) Melissa Tucker, Torrance High School, 16.
Ramon Martinez, the father of Yamilex and Carlos, accompanied us on the trip.
Norris McDonald and Bernard Peyton were also chaperones on the trip.
The Compton To Catalina Program is sponsored by Southern California Edison.