New Corporation made the commitment in 2007 to embed the values of energy efficiency and environmental sustainability into all of their businesses. Making News Corp.'s operations more efficient will save the company millions of dollars. Consolidating its data centers will save News Corp. $20 million a year and reduce related emissions by 15 percent once fully implemented.
The Center hereby requests that News Corporation donate some of its carbon offset credits to our Carbon Mercantile Exchange (CMX).
• Reducing absolute greenhouse gas by 15 percent, compared to 2006 levels
• Reducing greenhouse gas intensity by at least 15 percent
• Investing in clean energy equal to 20 percent of electricity used
• Engaging its 100 largest suppliers on improving their environmental impacts
• Measuring its waste footprint and developing a strategy to reduce it
News Corp. also created a set of intentionally broad long-term goals with no time horizon:
• Power all of its operations with clean energy
• Grow its business without growing its greenhouse gas emissions
• Minimize the amount of solid waste sent to landfill from its production operations
• Continue to engage its readers, employees and customers on sustainability
Its News Unlimited arm in Australia, for example, developed an internal brand and program called One Degree that helped reduce its carbon footprint by 18 percent. Fox Home Entertainment joined forces with Walmart to make DVD packaging lighter, which helped to reduce raw material and transportation emissions.
Climate Biz, 3/1/2011)