Demand for electricity is expected to increase over the next 10 years by 19 percent in the U.S., but confirmed power capacity will increase by only 6 percent. The transmission system requires additional investment to address reliability issues and economic impacts. The NERC report identifies 22 necessary actions that encompass all areas of the bulk power system including generation, transmission, fuel supply and delivery, and demand response. Specific recommended actions include:
* Addition of power generation facilities;
* New and upgraded transmission facilities;
* Stronger contracts and other arrangements;
* More "demand-side" measures; and
* Addressing aging workforce issues in the electric industry.